Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Next Next Next Generation

I won't lie. I'm not a big Star Trek fan. In fact, I think I've seen three episodes of the show during my lifetime, and that only happened because we didn't have cable at my mom's house and out of boredom I watched them. However, J.J. Abrams's revival of the franchise has me intrigued.

Abrams is like a God of mass cinema. With hits like the television series "Lost" and films M.I.3 (don't knock it 'til you see it) and Cloverfield, he's shown the power of his production company and his directing abilities. He's always able to entertain, despite the occasional appearance of Tom Cruise. Now I know nothing about the characters featured in Star Trek, but I think the cast of this looks sweet. It's mostly under the radar actors, with the exception of Eric Bana and Winona Ryder, which I think works well when you're redoing a franchise. Bana and Ryder have major parts but aren't the main players Kirk and Spock. Who needs an A-list actor to pull of Star Trek? You're guaranteed number one at the box office the day you come out from the Trekkie tickets alone. This is like Star Wars, only not as cool (please don't kill me). And Simon Pegg is Scotty. How awesome/appropriate is that?! Seeing how the Bad Robot team handled the publicity for Cloverfield, I expect some awesome teaser trailers and viral campaigning.

This might be the one thing that gets me into Star Trek. But I'm just saying, I'll always be Han's girl.

1 comment:

Dominick M. said...

At this point, just because J.J. Abrams created "Lost", he could develop "Ass: The Movie" (from "Idiocracy"), and I'd be sold.