Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cloverfield???

I know I am a little behind on this one. Truthfully, I had pysched myself up to the notion that this was already going to be a bad film. Which is why I just saw it a few hours ago.

"You don't even find out what Cloverfield means Jackie."
"Where does the monster even come from?"

and my personal favorite

"It is too much like the Blair Witch Project."

Well, all of these can be said about this film, it's storyline and marketing of it.
But, was it a bad movie? In my opinion, no, it was not. I was pleasantly surprised by this one, and scared shitless too.

Yes, we do have a bizarre camera angled Blair Witch feel to it. But unlike the Blair Witch Project, we actually grow to care about the characters. We see the palpable source of all the commotion destroying the world around them. And, we see actors at the top of their game working with very little to go on.

I cared about the characters, ok? I liked this movie, ok?

I didn't love it. I would have liked to have known where the monster came from and why it targeted New York City. And why the hell the movie is called CLOVERFIELD?
But too much information would have ruined a film like this. This film literally ran on the fear of the unknown.

It was intelligently rendered, and the pay off was a shivering good time.

Very little blood, Just like HALLOWEEN.
No name actors with (hopefully) bright futures. Like HALLOWEEN
and an unstoppable evil bent on destroying everything in it's way. HALLOWEEN


That's a better way to look at this picture, now isn't it?

No comments: