Saturday, January 19, 2008

Stupid Movies I Can't Help Watching.

Sometimes a movie (usually a comedy) is so dumb you can't help but love it. You love it so much you watch it again and again for that build up to that one part that made you feel this cinematic excursion had not been a complete and total waste of money.

Maybe I am alone on this one but there are some movies that do that for me. Most of them full of vulgarity and raunchy humor, with one of my favorite actors smack in the thick of it. I am trying to pick my brain as to the mass appeal of movies like "Zoolander" and "Old School" and why I am drawn to them like a moth to a flame.

Me. The Horror Geek.

(I don't know the answer. Sure I love romance and drama, and they all have their time and place with me. But, I am a grown up and more intelligent than this, right?)

Tom Hanks (in my mind) used to be the king of these types of movies. "The Burb's" (with Carrie Fisher and Corey Feldman) typifies what I am saying here.

Here is a movie with big stars (at that time) and no running worth whatsoever. I mean, come on. The next door neighbors move into the creepy house across the street and people start turning up missing and there is this big hullabaloo about how people in the suburbs go nuts from all the boring normalcy and day to day blah blah.

This movie is about nosy people that need to get lives. It is strained, plodding and really silly at some parts. And I love it. Because, well most of the time when it does come on there is nothing else to watch. (MOTH TO FLAME, AGAIN)

No, "The Burbs" is not "Citizen Kane" or "The Silence of the Lambs", but it is campy fun. And sometimes a person does not want to think.

Top 5 movies to not think to:

5. "THE BURBS"

4. "Bad Santa"

3. "Old School"

2. "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back"

1. "Caddyshack" (part 1)

No comments: