Friday, July 25, 2008

WTF: Robocop

I was first introduced to the film series Robocop by my Production II teacher. I think that man used Robocop for every sound example in our class. When we were assigned to watch the same film in my Science Fiction Film class, I decided something has to be going on with this movie. And I was right. Everything is going on in that movie. I have since On Demanded (yeah, that's a verb) the rest of the series on those late Friday nights alone and even though they are pretty bad, they are still amazing.

Well as fate would have it, director Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, Pi) has publicily stated that he will be making the fourth installment of the series for a 2010 release. Can we modernize Robocop, especially since the idea of a Robocop is coming closer and closer to reality? I just loved the first movie because it was so delightfully 80s. The fake blood, the explosive guns, the face melting...so good. It was funny but action-packed. And Red Forman was the villian. But I can't see Aronofksy having the same humor former director Paul Verhoeven had in his original 1987 release.

Shall I WTF this or give it a chance? My love for robots will let this slide...for now...

2 comments:

Dominick M. said...

I give this a marginal chance. My reasoning? Aronofsky is also working on a film called "The Wrestler", which is supposed to be like "Raging Bull" with professional wrestling. As a fan of sports-entertainment, I'm stoked, but after "The Fountain" was basically left to die out of the gate, I wonder if the man's losing it a bit, with that followed by a remake.

Jacqueline said...

I also say give it a chance. I would love to see how old Robo has changed or will change in newer more modern hands. And Red Forman was a fantastic villian.