Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Golden Globes 2009

The Award show was predictable (in my opinion) and pleasantly surprising. With Heath Ledger, posthumously, winning his best actor award for his role as the Joker in Dark Knight to 30 Rock's Tracy Morgan as the new face of post racial America (God help us).

Full of humble acceptance speeches, none more so than Kate Winslet's for her supporting actress role in the Reader. It was evident that Sydney Pollock's loss was felt by all who had worked with him. And Winslet also won for her best actress role in Revolutionary Road, upsetting the favorites Meryl Streep and Angelina Jolie. Well, in all fairness, they were happy for her, but in my mind, all awards go to Meryl Streep. I like her that much.

Slum Dog Millionaire, a movie I plan to see, did win for best screenplay and I sense that was a possible upset in that category.

The Cecile B. Demille Honoree for the evening was Steven Speilberg. His career has spanned the whole of my movie watching life and some of his best works (JAWS, BAND OF BROTHERS, ET., AI, WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT, etc.) are always worth revisiting.

In his acceptance speech, (I am paraphrasing) Spielberg said that while we strive to make movies for broader audiences that Hollywood's elite and non-elite should remember that they are a group of individuals that inspire each other. I automatically remembered those theatre people being labeled as weird in high school and then remembered how proud I was to count myself among them.

The Best director award went to SLUM DOG MILLIONAIRE'S Danny Boyle. (I have really got to see this film). The award that Pineapple Express's James Franco was up for went to Colin Farell for IN BRUGES. Colin stuttered during his rambling speech, but was surprisingly humble and very serious.

Other winners were

Best Film Musical or Comedy: Vicki Christina Barcelona

Best Actor in a Film/Drama: Mickey Rourke (And I hear that no one deserved it more.)

Best Film/Drama: Slum Dog Millionaire

I smell Oscar for some of these. We can only wait and see. I am not an expert. I am just a random blogger with time.

Mad Men won over my beloved True Blood for best tv drama. That sucked. But Anna Paquin won best actress for her role in True Blood, so that makes up for it in a way.
A lot of people say that Anna Paquin can't carry a lead role. I say, how could the Hollywood foriegn press be wrong?

No comments: