Friday, January 23, 2009

If I Could've Picked The Oscars.....

Everybody always complains about the Academy Awards, about how they're voted on by coastal elitists, they never nominate popular movie, etc. Especially this year, having seen 114 2008 relaeases, there were a lot of films that I felt were forgotten. So, at least for the major categories, I've created my own version of the Oscars, the way they should've been. Enjoy, and please comment if you think I'm way off the mark, or if you agree.

(Note: I've left out a lot of films that I personally loved; this is strictly what I think were the best films of last year. Also, some of these are actually nominated. That's because they deserved it.)

Best Picture:

The Dark Knight
Revolutionary Road
Slumdog Millionaire
Synecdoche, New York
Wall-E

Best Actor:

Benicio Del Toro - "Che"
Frank Langella - "Frost/Nixon"
Leonardo DiCaprio - "Revolutionary Road"
Mickey Rourke - "The Wrestler"
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - "Synecdoche, New York"

Best Actress:

Angelina Jolie - "Changeling"
Anne Hathaway - "Rachel Getting Married"
Kate Winslet - "Revolutionary Road"
Kristen Scott Thomas - "I've Loved You So Long"
Meryl Streep - "Doubt"

Best Supporting Actor:

James Franco - "Pineapple Express"
Heath Ledger - "The Dark Knight"
Mathieu Almaric - "A Christmas Tale"
Ralph Fiennes - "In Bruges"
Robert Downey Jr. - "Tropic Thunder"

Best Supporting Actress:

Elsa Zylberstein - "I've Loved You So Long"
Penelope Cruz - "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
Rosemarie DeWitt - "Rachel Getting Married"
Samantha Morton - "Synecdoche, New York"
Tilda Swinton - "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"

Documentary Feature:

American Teen
Encounters At The End Of The World
Gonzo: The Life & Work Of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Man On Wire
Young @ Heart

Foreign Language Film:

Che
A Christmas Tale
Don't Look Down (No Mires Para Abajo)
Let The Right One In
Tell No One

No comments: