Saturday, January 31, 2009

WTF?!: The Loss of Film

I'm a nerd. I know that. I like black & white movies and use to play Dungeons and Dragons. So my love for vintage things really comes through in my lifestyle. As I returned to film school this week, I realized that I will soon become a part of the workforce come graduation in May, and that terrified me. I don't think I'm ready by any means, but I have no problem jumping in blindly into the inferno that is our economy. Obama, I'm hoping my vote gets me a job.

But in my Edit II class the discussion about shooting films started, where my teacher said film (as in the stock, not the art form) is a dying breed. Everything's going digital now. Why by a print on film of the new blockbuster when you can download it to your digital projector? Now I have to admit, digital does look amazing and is convenient. The image is incredibly clear and it's cheaper overall. It's allowed epics like Che to even get made. But film? That's what I started on at Columbia and the bond it makes with the person is incredibly personal. Shooting on film is your one-shot. You mess up in any way and your film is destroyed. But that's the beauty of it! It's that love/hate relationship that brought me satisfaction with my finished product. Digital film makes it easy, sure, but you can't deny the depth that using film stock gives an image. I really hope my teacher is wrong and film stays around, at least as another option for filmmakers to use.

No comments: